Hi everyone, Alex here with a quick update on the progress of the Sandman.
As you know we went to CES in January and had an overwhelmingly positive response to the product. We got lots of great feedback and almost everyone who saw the product loved it. As part of our push for CES we had our manufacturer send us 50 working Sandmen (yes that’s the plural) that we were going to display at the show and give away to some press for a publicity push.
After some feedback and testing from various press people, as well as our own experiences we decided a couple tweaks were necessary to improve the product. The biggest issue was the way the front clear plastic “window” attached the main body of the product. Our initial design had some warping of the window (the front piece of plastic over the displays). The fit wasn’t as good as we had hoped and we decided it was for the best to change this to get the windows flush and flat.
Our engineers decided on a simple snap system that would be added to the parts. We had to wait almost the entire month of February for Chinese New Year celebrations to be over before we could make the necessary tooling changes. These changes will be completed in the next couple days and we are very optimistic these will fix the issue.
Another thing we weren’t happy with on these 50 pilot units was the fit of the snooze button within the main body. It wasn’t tight enough so the entire product felt cheap and loose, something we obviously wanted to avoid.
We added some tiny ribs around the edge of the button to prevent some of this looseness. This makes the product feel much better!
We are confident that the tool modifications will be successful behind us and we can begin production of the plastic components in the next couple of weeks.
We have been gearing up for the launch of the product and can’t wait to ship them to our loyal fans!